Employment & Fellowship Opportunities
Please check back often for employment and fellowship opportunities.
CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER (KENYA)
Reporting to the Executive Director, the COO serves on the Executive Management Team of CFK and guides and directs Program Department Heads, Research, Policy and Development, and Finance and Administration. The COO will represent CFK externally with relevant stakeholders as needed.
LOCATION: CFK Headquarters, Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya
Established in 2001, Carolina for Kibera (CFK) fights extreme poverty with an innovative community-based platform focused on long-term youth leadership development and life-saving public health. The organization is on a rapid growth trajectory as it heads toward its 20th Anniversary next year. The Board and Executive Director (ED) are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience leading an executive management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at CFK deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. While it is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, it is also critical that the team retain the creative spark that drives the CFK concept.
Reporting to the ED, the COO will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
Organizational Leadership and Strategic Management:
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director and team, create the strategic five-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge operations and support an open-door policy among all staff.
- Work with the Executive Director and leadership teams, set strategy to maximize success towards CFK’s vision.
- Provide quarterly updates to the ED on the progress of the Strategic plan.
- Ensure program and operational deliverables are met, maintaining a solid overview of progress against goals, budgets, burn rates, timelines, and challenges while assisting with problem-solving where needed.
- Oversee sound planning, maintenance, evaluation, and improvement of all CFK programs and operations.
- Support the design and development of new programs that may be appropriate and necessary in the Kibera community/similar settings and resonate with CFK’s values, expertise, and resources.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements including accurate programmatic and financial reporting and required interim and final reports.
- Oversee programmatic goal achievement, program evaluation implementation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, and communications.
- Submit monthly reports to the ED on all CFK activities.
Finance and Administration;
- Oversee the creation and execution of the annual operating budget and all required financial reporting.
- Support the Head of Finance to develop an accounting system that provides the organization with quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting.
- Support the Head of Administration to analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall.
- Development and implementation of systems for reporting, measurement and supporting revenue generation.
- Oversee the generation and review of timely and accurate monthly financial management reports
- In coordination with the Head of Finance, establish a strong system of internal controls. This includes organizing periodic internal audits and assessments to evaluate effectiveness.
- Oversee the annual external audits and the filing of relevant documents with respective regulatory authorities
- Work with the national board of directors: present to the board at quarterly meetings and serve on board committees.
Team Management and Development:
- Lead and provide direct supervision for the Senior Leadership Team (Heads of Programs, Finance, Administration, and Research & Development).
- Ensure that staff is mentored, supervised, and evaluated in a way that contributes to an atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development while ensuring accountability to beneficiaries, partners, colleagues, and donors by providing ongoing feedback in a context of mutual respect.
- In collaboration with the Senior Leadership Team, review and assess the status of policies, procedures, and workflows, identify gaps or outdated policies and prioritize improvements.
- Empower staff to reach goals, with ultimate accountability for goal attainment.
- Identify members of staff to mentor for potential leadership roles.
- Recruit, mentor, and retain high-performing staff that fosters the mission and vision of CFK.
Program Quality Assurance/Research, Advocacy, and Policy:
Provide guidance and oversight to direct reports and their staff to work effectively with the Head of Research & Development and his/her team of technical program experts to ensure:
- High quality, optimal impact, sustainability, scalability, and cost-effectiveness of all programs.
- Technical and operational needs are proactively addressed to ensure quality programs that meet the highest management, scientific and ethical standards.
- The accurate and timely reporting of program results and deliverables including regular highlights from the country and regional programs.
- Identify operational research needs and opportunities for partnerships and funding to address these;
- Support partnerships for research in CFK program areas; and
- Work with Head of Research and Development to develop and implement strategies to meet long-term restricted and unrestricted funding needs.
- Work with Head of Research and Development his/her team to actively scope and identify new partnerships and collaborative opportunities that enhance the quality, depth, and reach of CFK’s work.
- Enhance data and processes needed for effective decision-making and fundraising, ensuring coordination and teamwork among technical, operations, and business development staff in support of an efficient and robust proposal development process.
- Work with Head of Finance to optimize segmented accounting information to inform effective decision especially as it pertains to strategic investments in CFK’s future.
- Uncompromising integrity
- Passion for breaking new ground to lead social change
- Courage to work in challenging environments
- Skilled communicator
- Enjoys and excels at leading teams and nurturing new talent
- Extremely a hard worker
- Keen attention to detail
- High level of initiative
- Entrepreneurial attitude
- Confident yet humble
- “Glass half-full” positive attitude even when the going gets tough.
- Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree. Degree in Project Management/Finance and/or a Master’s Degree in Project Management/Business Administration/Strategic Management or related field is a plus.
- Experience managing budgets and reading financial statements. Experience preparing and/or overseeing financial statement preparation a plus.
- Experience in a program operations leadership and management role.
- NGO and/or community-based organization work a plus.
- Experience having lived and/or worked in informal settlements a plus.
Competitive compensation with benefits for comparable senior executive roles.
Submit a one-page resume in pdf format along with a one-page cover letter in pdf format to email@example.com by Friday, 24th July 2020. In your cover letter please address why you are interested in this position.
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (KENYA)
The application period for this opportunity is now closed.
CAROLINA FOR KIBERA FELLOWSHIP (US)
The application period for this opportunity is now closed.
UNC PEACOCK FELLOWSHIP, 2020
The application period for this opportunity is now closed. Please check back in late fall for information regarding our 2021 call for applications.